Now in its fifth year, the New Philosopher Writers’ Award is open for submissions (note that you must be a…
We’re pleased to announce the winner and runner-up for New Philosopher Writers’ Award XI: Technology.
Winner: Mark Bessoudo, a Canadian consultant specialising in green buildings.
Runner-up: Marc Gutenstein, an emergency physician from New Zealand.
Congratulations to Mark and Marc, your entries were worthy winners from an exceptional shortlist. Mark Bessoudo receives the AUD$1,000 first prize and both pieces will be published in issue #13 of New Philosopher.
Yet again we received a record number of entries from around the world and the shortlist included writers from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and the US. The judges were particularly impressed by the quality of this quarter’s entries and agreeing on a shortlist of ten was a difficult task. (Picking the top two was no easier.)
Here is the shortlist (in alphabetical order by last name):
- Mark Bessoudo, a consultant specialising in green buildings
- Greg Bland, Queensland high school teacher
- Tim Campbell, shortlisted 7 times in the New Philosopher Writers’ Award
- Professor Mike Freeman, visiting professor at Manchester and London
- Dr Marc Gutenstein, emergency physician in New Zealand
- Jed Lea-Henry, Assistant Professor at Vignan University
- Ralph Kaye, shortlisted for New Philosopher Writers’ Award XI (sorry, we have no other info!)
- Dr Erica Southgate, an expert in qualitative research at DICE
- Wayne Strudwick, award-winning writer
- Warren Ward, psychiatrist, author, and winner of New Philosopher Writers’ Award X
Congratulations to all those who made the list, which included three previous finalists: Jed Lea-Henry, Warren Ward (winner of Award X), and Tim Campbell (who has been shortlisted no fewer than seven times).
Thank you to everyone who took the time to submit an entry. We do hope you will submit again for Award XII ’education’ and we look forward to reading your submissions. Award XII ‘education’ closes 31 August 2016: http://www.newphilosopher.com/articles/prize/